You have no items in your shopping cart.

Thursday, June 4, 2020 3:47:20 AM

Google Merchants - feed issue with watermarks

Posted: 5 years ago

#309 Quote
Hello-

Recently Google has started disapproving many of our products from their Google Merchants program because of "image violations."

They are not specific in their error message as to why, but I've found a number of other people with the same problem who say they corrected the problem by removing all text and watermarks from their product photos.

Is there a way to make the plugin only show watermarks when it is a human visitor, and not use watermarks for search engine spiders like Google?

Thanks,
Steve

#310 Quote

Support

#310 Quote
It's a good idea...
I'll think about it.

#311 Quote

Support

#311 Quote
We can't do it.
NopCommerce kernel caches link for images.

#312 Quote
I see...

We like the watermark plugin and want to continue using it on our site, however, if Google will discontinue our products, we cannot use it.

Does the plugin only apply watermarks to images within the /content/images directory?

An alternative solution would be for the nopcommerce team to modify the google feed plugin to allow an admin to specify a different path to the images which are to be included in the product feed. This would only work if the watermark plugin does not apply the watermark to images in a different directory. Is this the case?

If so, I will make the suggestion to the nopcommerce team. If they do it, all watermark plugin users can copy all of their images for inclusion in product feed into a separate directory, and define that path in the product feed plugin.

Steve

#315 Quote

Support

#315 Quote
About google feed.
It's a good idea.
I'll think.

#319 Quote
Hello again-

Andrey thinks it is better if the watermark plugin is modified to derive the picture URL from another place rather than modify the product feed plugin as I suggested...

http://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/33283/google-product-feed-generator-plugin-suggestion.aspx

For now, we just disabled our watermarks plugin and are waiting for Google to approve our listings again. I hope you can find a way to cause the plugin to NOT serve watermarks to search engine user-agents at some point, because we very much like how it works, but we just can't afford the reduction in traffic that is sent from Google Shopping program.

Thank you-
Steve

#320 Quote

Support

#320 Quote
I thought about it.

I have one idea.
Froogle has a parameter by name Product picture size.
I can add a new parameter Disable watermark for picture size in Watermark plugin.

By default
Product picture size
Froogle - 125
NopCommerce  - 125

You can change Froogle Product picture size. New size ex. 150.
Watermark plugin  doesn't add watermark on image with size 150.

I think it's a good idea. It helps you.

#321 Quote
That's a great idea! Very smart.
We, for example, have our google image size set to 1200 px, and it is the only place we use that size in our website.

FYI: Google now wants the largest possible resolution images for main image and additional images..up to 4mb
They do not like thumbnail versions because their site now generates new images from the larger originals you specify in your feed.

I will await the updated plugin release.

Steve

#322 Quote
Maybe it would be wise for you to first check with Andrey to ensure that they do not intend to update the froogle/google shopping feed plugin's Google product picture size default, based on new Google recommendations...

#323 Quote

Support

#323 Quote
Read this link
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494?hl=en

You can change product image size on Froogle Configure page.
Set new value 800.

We'll add new parameter in Watermark plugin.

#339 Quote
Support wrote:
Read this link
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494?hl=en

You can change product image size on Froogle Configure page.
Set new value 800.

We'll add new parameter in Watermark plugin.

Hello-

I checked the changelog, but see no change for this new parameter yet.
Will it be available soon?

Thanks,
Steve

#340 Quote
OK, nevermind. I downloaded fresh archive and see it is now version 1.03 and new parameter has been added.

Many thanks!

#341 Quote

Support

#341 Quote
We test new plugin FeedManager.

You can see youtube video http://youtu.be/WDGlmoXUGl4

Plugin exports all images without watermarks.
You can set feed attribute per category, etc.
Try it.